Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination, and is the most commonly diagnosed behavioral disorder of childhood. It affects about 3 – 5% of school aged children. ADHD is diagnosed much more often in boys than in girls.
The diagnosis is typically divided into 3 groups:
- Lack of attention (inattentiveness)
- Impulsive behavior (impulsivity)
ADHD is considered a neurological disorder and many parents seek out a natural, non-drug solution for their child, chiropractic care can be helpful in reducing the nervous system disturbances.
The classic signs that parents and teachers notice:
- Inattention, hyperactivity and being easily distracted
- Difficulty concentrating and sitting still
- Inability to control impulsive thoughts and behaviors
- Easily distracted by noises and activities
- Always moving—fingers, hands, arms, feet or legs
Nutritional and lifestyle changes are instrumental to rule out environmental factors by reducing the child’s exposure to common substances:
- Remove food dyes, preservatives and additives from the diet.
- Focus on natural, organic foods grown without pesticides or herbicides.
- Determine if an allergy is involved such as dairy or gluten and eliminate.
- Eliminate all sugars and artificial sweeteners.
- Reduce the use of cleaning agents, detergents, fabric softeners and other chemicals.
A medical approach to controlling symptoms of ADHD is to administer regular doses of methylphenidate. More commonly known as Ritalin®, a schedule II controlled substance related to, and producing similar effects as, amphetamines and cocaine. The side effects, including personality changes and permanent changes to the brain, cause many parents to look for alternatives.
In treating the various symptoms of ADHD, chiropractors look for disturbances in the child’s nervous system and spinal distortions. The link between the spine, brain stem dysfunction and ADHD is common. A thorough chiropractic examination can reveal noticeable spinal distortion. The chiropractic adjustments are safe and natural to help reduce the accompanying nervous system tension.
Be healthy & happy, Dr. Tijana
SCHEDULE THE FIRST APPOINTMENT FOR YOU & YOUR FAMILY for a comprehensive health assessment TODAY at 706.254.4579!