Superfoods are nutritional powerhouse foods with high concentrations of critical fatty acids, antioxidant phytonutrients and essential amino acids that contribute to an array of health benefits: building cleaner muscles and tissues, aiding your digestive system function, and preventing and/or reversing the effects of aging and many disease processes. Green superfoods have the highest concentrations of easily digestible nutrients, fat burning compounds, vitamins and minerals to protect and heal the body.
The superfoods include:
- Dark green vegetables: kale, collard greens, Swiss chard,turnip greens, mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach, red cabbage, kohlrabi, zucchini, watercress, endive, arugula, spirulina, blue-green algae
- Vegetables & fruits with bright, dark/intense colors: beets and their greens, sweet potatoes, avocado, kiwi, pomegranates, pumpkin, tomatoes, eggplant, mangos, mushrooms, carrots, figs, persimmons, etc.
- Legumes: lentils, beans, edamame, garlic
- Berries: blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, loganberries, boysenberries, currants, goji, acai, coconut, noni
- Citrus fruits: grapefruit, oranges, lemons, limes
- Nuts & seeds: almonds, chia, walnuts, cashews, quinoa, amaranth, millet, buckwheat, pistachios, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts
- Herbs: parsley, basil, ginger, sage, rosemary, lavender, nettle, aloe vera, echinacea, ginseng, dandelion, cinnamon
- Wild-caught fish: salmon, mackerel, sardines
- Dark chocolate, raw honey
- Seaweed: nori, kelp, dulse, arame, wakame, kombu
Many of the superfoods contain antioxidant phytonutrients called anthocyanidins that powerfully neutralize free radical damage to the collagen matrix of cells and tissues and improve capillary integrity and enhance the effects of Vitamin C. Additional phytonutrients include pterostilbene, resveratrol, flavonols, tannins, carotenoids, glutathione, and chlorophyll, which have been shown to inhibit the development of cancer cell growth.
It is essential to purchase these foods organically due to the high amount of petrochemical pesticides and herbicides that are used on the non-organic varieties.
Be healthy & happy, Dr. Tijana