10 Health-Related Uses for Lemons, arthritis, dental health, digestion, Dr. Tijana DC, Dr. Tijana Sefic DC, healthy.BEing family wellness, kidney stones, lemon and honey, lemon water, lemons, lemons for health
Lemons are a popular fruit in anything health related. It serves as a zesty flavor for food and drinks, refreshing scent in just about any household and personal item imaginable, sore throat remedy, and so much more.
So let’s go beyond traditional uses for lemons and investigate their diverse applications:
1. High Blood Pressure: Lemons are loaded with potassium, which helps regulate elevated blood pressure and manage nausea and dizziness.
2. Mental Health: Lemon can help improve the mood, depression, and stress, as it is refreshing and helps elevate fatigue symptoms, which are common with depressive mood. Also, works with great long-distance athletes.
3. Respiratory Problems: Lemons help decrease the accumulation of phlegm, allowing for clearing of breathing passages. Also, aids in persons who suffer from asthma.
4. Arthritic Complaints: Because lemons are a natural diuretic, they increase the production of urine, which helps in removing the toxins from the body and reducing inflammation, which will result in an increase in pain relief as well as reduction in symptoms.
5. Kidney Stones: If you mix lemon juice with water and drink it regularly, it will decrease the formation of crystals, which are responsible for kidney stone formation.
6. Skin Properties: Lemons aid in the reduction of free radicals in the body as they are considered an antioxidant, which helps reduce signs of aging and skin damage. Applying lemon juice directly to liver spots or freckles for 15 minutes before washing it off will safely lighten and leave the skin clean. Lemon juice also works great directly on zits and is an effective natural cleanser and exfoliation.
7. Oral Health: Diluted lemon water is a powerful antiseptic that is safe and non-irritating. It can be used in dental hygiene as a mouth wash for bleeding gums, toothaches, and killing bacteria that causes bad breath. Be cautious to only rinse for a few minutes because long-term exposure to the acid in lemons can damage tooth enamel.
8. Antibacterial Properties: Lemon water can used to fight a variety of infections, such as gargling in case of a throat infection as it reduces phlegm; yeast and vaginal infections as they alter the pH in the body that citric acid can help restore; and on the skin to stop bleeding and disinfect minor cuts and scrapes.
9. Fever: Water with lemon, and even Lemon Essential Oil, can serve as a cooling agent during fever and chills, as well as during hot weather. It also soothes itching and alleviates rashes; in case of hives, read more HERE!
10. Digestive Problems: Lemon juice in warm water is a great way to soothe an achy digestive tract from indigestion, constipation, and problems with elimination, by removing toxins from the body through blood and kidneys and aiding in the digestive process.
It is important to examine the source of your lemon. If you are going to use the external part of the lemon, like putting it in your water, using the rind or the peel, try to buy an organic lemon to avoid harmful pesticides.
Be healthy & happy, Dr. Tijana
If you do not already have a local chiropractor, call Dr. Tijana at 706.254.4579 to schedule your first appointment for YOU & YOUR FAMILY for a comprehensive health assessment TODAY!